Mold Toxicity

Most people have heard of mold. We know that when we see it on our food – whether it is bread, cheese, or fruit – it’s a sign that the item has spoiled and should be thrown away. We know that it is not safe to eat. However, we probably don’t think about the danger of simply being close to it, such as if there is mold somewhere in our homes. Mold toxicity can harm one’s physical and mental health. It can sometimes be hard to tell when you’ve been exposed to it, but being aware of some signs can help protect your well-being.

What is Mold Toxicity?

Mold can generally be found anywhere there is moisture. While small amounts of exposure can be harmless, being exposed to mold for a prolonged length of time, or to some of the poisonous substances that molds produce, can have adverse effects on your health. This is a condition known as mold toxicity, presenting symptoms such as:

  • Fatigue

  • Joint pain

  • Headaches

  • Brain fog

  • Anxiety

  • Allergies

  • Chronic infections

  • Autoimmune disorders

If you observe any of these symptoms in yourself or a loved one, seek medical attention promptly.

Mold Toxicity & Alzheimer's Disease

Alzheimer’s disease is generally known as a neurodegenerative condition that affects an individual’s memory. There is not an exact cause of Alzheimer’s – several factors can increase or decrease one’s chances of being affected by the disease. Recently, it was found that the disease has three subtypes: inflammatory, non-inflammatory, and cortical. This last subtype, cortical, is often inhalational, caused by exposure to mycotoxins associated with molds. The result of this exposure is the development of symptoms of either the subtype 3 of Alzheimer’s or a syndrome called chronic inflammatory response syndrome, or CIRS. The good news about potentially identifying a cause of at least one subtype of Alzheimer’s is that there is a greater chance of being able to treat it.

Treating CIRS and Alzheimer's Disease (Subtype 3)

A protocol will have to be used to treat either disease. One main part of the protocol is removing the exposure to mold. This can be done by having an annual inspection performed on your home for mold, maintaining a humidity of no higher than 50 percent in the home, and using an air purifier in the areas you most frequent